The special session closed Friday night with less fan fair than did the earlier special session called by Governor Perry. As a small, but strong willed civically engaged woman a week a go I praised Senator Wendy Davis as she championed the cause of the little people. I just love the way filibusters allow minorities voices to be heard. As I came home to view the news, I laughed at he latest attempts of the TX GOP to maintain control over the crowds and prevent further outbursts or distractions from occurring in the Senate chamber. This was worthy of Facebook post. How dare they take a menstruating female's hygiene items? This surprised me. The passage of legislation creating more abortion barriers did not. I took in stride. This is Texas after all. Just as fast as I laughed at Republican's latest antics I found myself remorseful early Saturday morning. That good ole country Baptist girl was conflicted. As pro-choice advocates mourned the death of a political opportunity two classmates over night two collegiate friends announced funeral services for their twin babies. Keeping in line with my forever changing political ideology. I grieved with them and returned to my "right" mind. As many people pray for babies what is another to decide to take that life. Its premeditated manslaughter. While I used afraid to speak on such issues for fear of ostracizing a friend, studies show the "right" me is in a majority on this one.
While I have chosen to lean "right" on this issue, I am still a champion for justice. After reviewing the legislation and related articles, I found and confirmed provisions for the usage of ambulatory surgical to perform abortions to be problematic. The cost is great in more than one way for women who have miscarriage and need to abort for such medical reasons and the beneficiary of this cost is Governor Perry's sister. Hmm almost seems like the Gardasil shot all over again. Seems self interest is yet again spoiling good intentions.
For more opinion see the following links:
Text of Abortion Bill
Conflict of Interest
No comments:
Post a Comment