As a government teacher I try to be that unbiased voice in my classroom. I take care to mention conservative and liberal in alphabetical order and do the same when speaking about Democrats and Republicans. Like a masterful debater I try to anticipate the opposing viewpoints and then I play devil's advocate. After 8 1/2 years of teaching, I think I really am that moderate unbiased being I've claimed be all these years. I can always find the good and bad in everything. It really should be no surprise. I have the perfect mix of conservative and liberal tendencies. Look at my face and you find a young African American female raised for the most part in a single family home who occasionally smiles at the joke/ excuses of a student. My outward appearance tells one story, my biography proves I am more complex. Whether you believe it or not all Black people look a like nor do they think alike. LOL. I walked a quarter mile to church religiously with my great grandmother on Sundays and joined her in Wheel of Fortune on weeknights. My friends are both rich and poor. I believe Texas is right in drug testing the unemployed. I want the government to do more for me, but hate taxes. Who doesn't? There is more to me than meet the eye. Sometimes the older I get the more I wonder exactly who I am. I was meant to break the mold. I decided the other week that I didn't want to take up the task of becoming a liberal columnist for about.com, because that goes against every fiber of my being and journalistic principles to write in a biased fashion.
Now seeing all this in myself I pray that as I explore my thoughts on this open forum that no one blast me for what I think. Please join me in peaceful dialogue. I'm open to opposing viewpoints...why don't you join me.
( Imagine what might happen if all the politicians took me up on this).
Very well put and I agree with you. Interesting though that you live in Texas and can be an independent. I am looking forward to reading your post and will put my ideas forth, I don't know how much that will help. I also try to stay the moderate one in my classroom, do you find it more difficult depending on your students? I tend to have more liberals, however, my conservatives tend to be very right. So it is always interesting.
ReplyDeleteInteresting.....voting moderatetly just doesn't happen much..
DeleteI love my friend Barbara whom I have known for 9 years. Like
ReplyDeleteyou, I have changed as I experience life. I am a life long republican but have been furious with what has been done to the education system under Perry. I also know that I could have used some help as I worked full time and took care of my bed ridden Mom until she died. I think that wisdom comes with age but most people never get there. You are wise beyond your years. Like you I have become an independent in Texas.
Aleman we are supposed to be agents of socialization but I feel we have been socialized just as much. I am constantly challenged to see both sides of the story.
Delete